Sunday 27 December 2015

A Trip to Service Canada



The 8 week long Private Sponsorship of Refugee Course offered by Immigration Canada said nothing about the possible highs and lows and ups and downs of our visit to Service Ontario with our family of 7 in tow to apply for OHIP. Granted the issue that arose was partially our own fault. 

My co–chair and I had cased our Service Ontario weeks ago. We found out that without a document listing the family’s address they couldn’t apply for OHIP. However, with the help of other more experienced people we determined that by creating a legal lease between the owner of their temporary home (my co-chair) and the family this problem could be surmounted. 

I went into the Service Ontario office feeling fairly confident. Our family of 7 had to go in two cars so two of them were ahead of us in line when we arrived. Their driver motioned to us to take our places beside them. As we moved forward I could hear mutterings as we passed several people and I thought  … bad idea! 

It was too late because a man farther up the line started to yell at us. I apologized for breaching line etiquette and moved the other 5 members of the family to the back of the line. However, the man didn’t stop. He started to rant about his role as a veteran. I am sure he had some mental health problems but that didn’t stop me from being very uncomfortable and embarrassed that the family was being met with this kind of reception at their first time in a public place.  However, thank God for Canadians! 

People began to move towards the family, shaking their hands and welcoming them to Canada. Someone left the office and returned with a large box of Tim Horton’s donuts for them. Another gentlemen offered them a job. It went from being a very uncomfortable experience to a very happy one in short time. I came home very proud of the response of my fellow citizens. All in all it was a great introduction to Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment