Sunday 27 December 2015

'Twas the Night Before ...



'Twas the night before … not Christmas, but the day we would meet our refugee family at the Hotel Travelodge in Toronto. I had the same feeling of excitement I had when I was a little girl listening to the radio announcer tell us NORAD had picked up the latest location of Santa and he was getting nearer. 

I woke up at 4 am even though we didn’t have to leave for the airport until 9:30 am. When we arrived at the hotel the lobby was abuzz with government workers and recent refugees and a feeling of excitement and energy. A huge Christmas tree in the corner overlooked the scene. We were directed to a table where an Immigration Canada worker checked their list and said the family would be right down. 

I asked them to wait as the relatives of our family had not arrived and I wanted the families to see each other first. As I watched the young children running and tumbling around the room and I could see the relief and happiness in the faces of the parents I struggled to hold back my tears. 

It had been such a long journey to bring our family to Canada that I could barely believe that we were about to meet them. And then we did ….  They emerged from the elevator into the arms of their family, crying and and smiling and holding each other. All of us there felt so privileged to  see this and to be part of this historic yet very personal movement of people to a better life in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment